How do you protect yourself while accessing the internet outside your office or home?

Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, you will likely need to access the internet. How do you keep yourself secure in this situation?

• Use your own smartphone or hotspot
  • Use a VPN (corporate or 3rd party)
  • Find a network you can trust (even if it means paying for the access/usage)
  • Bring & use my own portable router
  • Firewall or other security software on your device
  • Only use wired networks to limit my exposure
  • Other

0 voters

When I am in a hotel room I use a VPN to my home server from my own portable router that has WiFi and so offers me a network I can trust. Outside hotel rooms I prefer to use my own smartphone. To have data abroad I buy a local SIM. And as I work at a university I can use the worldwide EDUroam network whenever available.

Great input (and solution). Thank you for letting us know!

Using a VPN ensurers that your traffic is encrypted reducing the risk of MITM attack. Public wifi/hotspots are not secure; don’t take chances.

Excellent point @Villbo! Regardless of the device, encrypting the traffic is a great way to add more protection. For anyone who might be new (or newer) to security, if you aren’t using a VPN, I’m a firm believer that you should be. In fact, for anyone who might not be as familiar with why this is important, take a look at the article PC Mag just did on why your iPhone needs a VPN. It is a decent basic overview of the types of protection a VPN can add (not just for an iPhone) and why that is important.

Here is the link for anyone interested: PC Mag Article on VPN for iPhone
Note: The article also incorporates a review of VPN apps for the iPhone